Master medieval city of the mountainous north of Guadalajara, in the Arab period it reached its peak. It was then that the fortress rose, Now Parador Hotel. Episcopal city from 1140. In the fifteenth century the town became an important industrial center of cloths and textile articles and its glory lasted until the seventeenth century. The medieval town occupies the top, around the castle. Its streets are narrow and steep around the square Jail, where weekly markets are held. In this neighborhood is the
Palacio del Doncel, late fifteenth century and the Romanesque churches of Santiago and San Vicente. Renaissance Siguenza, driven by humanist bishops, It was developed in the urban environment of the Cathedral. In front of the Cathedral lies the Plaza Mayor with Renaissance arches on the facade of City Hall. The lower part is illustrated city, developed by the reformist bishops.
The ancient walls are remnants of the main wall, several towers and some doors of the seven who had the defensive enclosure, as the portal Mayor, main entrance during the Middle Ages, the wicket del Sol, Toril door and gate Iron, escoltado for dos towers.
Splendid architectural work of religious art medieval Spanish. Its construction began in Cistercian Romanesque style 1140 and it finished in the fifteenth century Gothic. The main facade is composed by four buttresses on which the structures of the three main naves are supported. The beautiful Gothic cloister crucerías are illuminated by Gothic windows and openwork lattices. It has interesting chapels such as Santiago Zebedee, St. Peter, the de la Concepción, the San Valero, the Annunciation and the Arce. The sacristy of Cabezas is one of the major monuments of the Spanish Renaissance. In the chapter is the Cathedral Museum with an interesting collection of tapestries, sizes, goldsmith, books, codices and pieces of painting and sculpture of great value.
It is the medieval image of Siguenza, which now houses the offices of Parador Hotel. It occupies the site of an ancient fort celtibérico, later inhabited by Romans and Muslims. Between the fourteenth and sixteenth centuries lived its period of splendor, favored by the extensions of Bishop Cisneros Girón.
JADRAQUE (XADRAQ). YOUR CASTLE
Jadraque Castle was part of a series of defensive constructions along the Roman road. It was the Arabs who built the castle on the hilltop strategic (the world's most perfect hill as Ortega y Gasset), vigilante road and passing through the valley.
It is also called Castillo del Cid, but no specific mention is made in the twelfth century epic poem (1140), Song of the Cid, in whose pages if referred to other towns in the area, such as Castejón, (according to Menendez Pidal, the current Castejon de Henares) although the building owners had the name of Condes de Cid, also under the medieval work.
In 1434 King Juan II donated Jadraque, its castle and a large territory around, his cousin Maria de Castilla (granddaughter of King Pedro I the Cruel), on the occasion of her wedding to Don Gómez Carrillo Castilian courtier. The state thus created manor was inherited by Don Alfonso Carrillo de Acuña, who in 1469 he handed, by change of peoples and goods, Don Pedro Gonzalez de Mendoza, at that time Bishop of Siguenza, and then Chancellor with the Catholic Monarchs.
This was the one who initiated the construction of the castle of Jadraque with the current structure, in the last third of the fifteenth century.
At the moment his death gave him to his greatest and most beloved son, Don Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar and Mendoza, Marquess of Zenete and Earl Cid. He married this brave soldier, dear heart by the Catholic Monarchs and admired as one of its most courageous and intelligent soldiers, Leonor de la Cerda, daughter of the Duke of Medinaceli, in 1492.
Within the main tower, rectangular, Today has been a small chapel in honor of Our Lady of Castejon, employer of the town.
THE DAY OF THE CRUMBS
Every year, in the first half of December, held in Jadraque, organized by the Cultural Association “Reconquista”, the call “DAY OF CRUMBS”.
It is a culinary contest this traditional dish of rural cuisine. Contestants previously point groups and the City provides them with the raw material. From early in the morning and in the street, different groups of contestants are concocting their boiler crumbs after a jury qualifies, granting three awards.
Not revelry begins from the moment, that the revelry begins early in the morning, but at this time the tasting by the public that usually begins numerous as they are not only jadraqueños, also they come from other towns in the region and even the capital.
Rio Dulce, in their, aproximadamente, 14 kms., from the cut Pelegrina (Photo 1), when water from different streams that run through the plains of ALCARRIA and endless ravines, as the ravine Gollorio, which leads to an impressive waterfall, to Aragosa, form Dulce River Park. Also it is known as RIO DULCE CANYON.
The cradle of Rio Dulce, in its early stages (Photo 3), narrow and deep, It is covered by the poplars, unbroken, will accompany him to its mouth in the Henares River (Matillas). Some 25 kms. travel, of which 14 kms. They are the cannon and other open and fertile valley, through the terms of Mandayona and Villaseca de Henares.
ROMANESQUE ROUTE IN THE NORTH OF GUADALAJARA
ATIENZA. It has seven churches scattered throughout the various neighborhoods, with the particularity, All of them, foliated capitals of semicircular archivolts holding in limestone worked with skill and patience.
Santa María del Val.- With cover decorated with puffins acrobats and a relief of the Flight into Egypt.
San Bartolome.- With elegant atrium porticado. It houses a Museum of Religious Art
San Gil and the Trinity.- also museum.
Santa Maria del Rey.- At the foot of the Castle, with its cover magnificent south
MORE ON ATIENZA.- Atienza, its geographical location, He has been subjected to armed conflicts of any importance: It was border between Muslim and Christian Spain; then between the kingdoms of Castile and Aragon, and later between the two Spains Civil War.
As a tourist and cultural attraction we have to mention the cavalcade held on Pentecost Sunday. Data, nothing less, that the 1163 when some carriers took the boy four years, Alfonso VIII, to save it from the threats of his uncle, Fernando de León.
Is a “horse race” of the Brotherhood of the Holy Trinity, in which knights, old-fashioned dresses, They go through all the people and come to the chapel of the Star.
ALBENDIEGO. Ermita de Santa Coloma, outside (recently restored). Swatch Moorish latticework with geometric openwork of Jewish inspiration.
Very close to the shrine, up to the village, the popular religious art of the twelfth century kept on a sturdy wall ashlar, the three crosses, carved stone, a Calvary.
Campisábalos. Church Campisábalos, with some interesting window, It shows two twin covers, Mudejar inspiration. Between the two covers, under cover again and abroad call Sangalindo, is preserved, quite worn by the influence of climatic elements, the procession of a mensario ornamental carved in high relief on the stone blocks, representing peasant scenes relating to the work most characteristic of the months of the year. This mensario seems to be unique in linear arrangement and concludes with a scene of wild boar hunting with dogs and the final two medieval warriors.
in Villacadima, They have raised some new houses for the summer, but in the short days and long winter nights the village is only.
Pinilla de Jadraque. Not too far, in the valley of Rio Cañamares, near Jadraque, is Jadraque Pinilla. The Church of Our Lady of the Assumption is, maybe, the most important Romanesque exponent of the Sierra Norte de Guadalajara, declared of Cultural Interest 1965.